Chapter-2 Access of Citizens to Education and Liability of the State
- Right to get education: (1) Every citizen shall have the right of equal access to quality education. No one shall be discriminated on any ground to get education.
(2) Every Nepali community residing in Nepal shall have the right to acquire education in the mother tongue.
(3) For the purposes of sub-section (1), every citizen shall have the right to become literate, to get early childhood development and education, basic education, secondary education and higher education, pursuant to this Act or the prevailing law.
(4) Every citizen who has acquired education shall have the right to enter into, study, research, participate in examinations in and acquire educational certificate from any school or teaching institute, pursuant to this Act or the prevailing law.
(5) Every illiterate citizen shall have the right to become literate as prescribed.
(6) Every citizen shall have the right to get higher education according to his or her qualification, capacity and interest, upon fulfilling the conditions and standards referred to in the prevailing law.
(7) A citizen with disability shall also have the right to get education by means of special education.
(8) Citizen who are economically destitute, with disabilities and are Dalit shall have the right to get free higher education.
(9) The children of the martyrs, who have sacrificed their lives in the process of popular movement, armed struggle, revolution, of the disappeared persons, of conflict victims, of the wounded, of the persons with disabilities shall have the right to get special opportunity as prescribed.
(10) Every child shall have the right to get quality education from the qualified teacher as provided in the prevailing law.
- Liability of State to provide education: (1) The Government of Nepal, Provincial Government and Local Level shall have the liability to provide every citizen with education up to the basic level, and the responsibility to make necessary arrangements in this respect.
(2) The State shall have the liability to provide every citizen with education up to the secondary level.
(3) The Government of Nepal shall make necessary coordination and leadership, for the purposes of sub-sections (1) and (2).
- Duty of the citizens: (1) Every citizen shall have the duty to get education of the basic level.
(2) Every citizen shall have the duty to send his or her children, who are of the age group of acquiring the basic education, to school regularly.