17. Punishment: (1) A person or body corporate that gives permission to any ship which does not hold certificates and logbooks pursuant to this Act to make navigation shall be punished with a fine not exceeding Eight Thousand
(2) If any ship of Nepal that does not have a logbook pursuant to this Act is taken for sea voyage or if a ship holding certificates of which validity has expired is engaged in navigation, the person or body corporate that so
carries the ship for sea voyage or engages the ship in navigation shall be punished with a fine not exceeding One Thousand Five Hundred Rupees.
(3) The master of a ship shall be punished with a fine not exceeding One Thousand Rupees in the following circumstance:
(a) In the event of failure to hold any such document as required to be held in ship pursuant to this Act,
(b) In the event of failure to properly maintain logbooks,
(c) In the event of failure to submit the certificates and logbooks as and when so required by the competent
(d) In the event of failure to surrender the certificates and logbooks of the ship of which registration has been
voided to the Nepal Ship Office, or
(e) In the event of failure to hold the logbooks fully used in the ship until the time-limit specified in Sub-section (2) of Section 16.
(4) A navigator who fails to do any act required to be done pursuant to this Act shall be punished with a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Rupees.
18. To try cases: (1) The Registrar of the Nepal Ship Office shall have the powers to originally try and settle cases relating to the offenses punishable under this Act.
(2) In trying and settling cases pursuant to Sub-section (1), the Registrar shall exercise all such powers as may be exercisable by the District Court pursuant to the prevailing Nepal law, and follow the procedures of that
(3) If the Registrar considers necessary, he or she may carry out necessary inquiry even outside………….4 Nepal by himself or herself or through other officer.
(4) One who is not satisfied with a decision made by the Registrar pursuant to Sub-section (1) may make an appeal to the Court of Appeal5 within Thirty Five days.
19. Power to frame Rules: The Government of Nepal may frame Rules to implement the objectives of this Act, and such Rules shall be deemed to have come into force after being published in the Nepal Gazette.